The University Arms Hotel in Cambridge opened in 1834 as the city’s first hotel. Since then, it has undergone extensive redevelopments in 1891, 1900, 1925 and, finally, in the 1960s, when the original Regency section along Regent Street was demolished and replaced with a discordant structure.
The hotel has now reopened after an £80m transformation, which combined a complex heat recovery retrofit with a sympathetic restoration scheme. The redevelopment is a collaboration between architect John Simpson – who oversaw the replacement of the 1960s extension – and interior designer Martin Brudnizki.
The process of designing the mechanical and electrical services for the hotel began in 2013. Johns Slater and Haward were responsible for all aspects of the work.
Our Associate Director Paul Bird is the winner of the 2018 CIBSE East Anglia Engineering Excellence Award for the new purpose-built office facility for Suffolk County Council and Waveney District Council at Riverside Road, Lowestoft.
The Project aim was to provide an environment for both Councils to conduct their business in a building that set a standard for occupant satisfaction and environmental performance; reducing both running costs and their carbon footprint.
The energy efficient building was designed based on the principles of ‘passivhaus’. Key features included Actimass (Termodeck) Thermal Mass heating and cooling, ground and air source heat pumps, photovoltaics and rainwater harvesting.